Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Impressions of Brussels

So far, I'm really enjoying Brussels (besides the cold and rain). I've been pleasantly surprised that I haven't had any issues with communicating with most people despite not being able to speak any French. It is possible that if I was anywhere else in Europe, I might not have such an easier time with that. Also, though at first the public transportation system seemed impossible to understand, I think that I am slowing learning how to get around (with the help of maps). It also helps that Brussels is quite small so it doesn't take long to get from one side to the other like Washington, DC.

My host family is awesome! I have learned so much about Brussels, France, and Europe through them in the past few days. In particular, I've learned a lot about the European perception (or to be more specific, French perception) of American politics and culture. I'm looking forward to continue these discussions with my host family over dinner!

I was told before I got here, that Brussels is an international city and in the short time that I have been here, I am finding that it truly is!

No comments:

Post a Comment